The general objective of this project is to reduce the number of injuries and deaths caused by road traffic accidents to vulnerable road users such as motorcyclists, cyclists and passengers through the development of a smart road restraint system.
This smart restraint system shall:
- Reduce the number of accidents through better information on the actual state of the road and traffic flow(climatic conditions, traffic flow, obstructions).
- Eliminate dangerous profiles from road restraint systems (crash barriers) that currently endanger vulnerable road users.
- Optimise road safety by providing exact information of where and when accidents happen in real-time.
This road restraint system shall have the following features:
- Integrated with the road restraint system.
- Cost effective in terms of materials costs, installation costs and running costs.
- Minimizes additional demands on the infrastructure such as power and communications buses.
- Will not provide additional risks to those colliding with the road restraint systems, particularly vulnerable road users such as motorcyclists.
- Robust against the environment.
- Robust against system degradation (e.g. the loss of a sensing node will still allow the system as a whole to function).
- Robust against false triggering (so that, for example, emergency services are not called unnecessarily).
- Each sensing node should know its location.
- Sensing nodes should be modular (additional functionality to be easily integrated depending on the location).
- Capable of being integrated with other roadside infrastructure and traffic management systems.